Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars!


(Remind me next time not to reread the book a day before you see the movie. You will notice things –small things- that were changed)
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings." – Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

“The Fault in Our Stars” is based on the New York Times best-selling novel of John Green. His experiences of working in a hospital with children suffering from life-threatening illnesses inspired him to become an author, and later to write “The Fault in Our Stars”.



The movie is about Hazel and Gus that are two teenagers who share an appreciation with An Imperial Affliction and a love that will take them on a journey. Their relationship starts when they met at a cancer support group and I can’t think of anything else to add without giving away too much.

I didn’t cry a bucket and the only reason I didn’t is because I was considerate of the people next to me in the cinema. Wouldn’t want them looking over at me with evil death glares.
I was sniffing and wiping my tears as quietly as possible. 
I don’t know, maybe it’s just me that got emotional over the scenes and teary-eyed all through-out the movie or just that seeing a favorite book of mine on the big screen is just making me really emotional.

I was expecting a lot out of this movie (specifically on the cast) because it was such an inspiring read and it drowned me with overflowing feels. So I was scared that it wouldn’t exceed my anticipations. Of course, there were parts that was changed but don’t worry it’s just minor things. I noticed it because I read the book just a day before I watched it. All vital lines from the book were in the movie.  I was really happy with the whole film. As what everyone probably knows, the movie will never be better than the book but this movie was successfully transferred from page to screen.

I loved the movie and I have no doubt you will too. One thing I do hope, that the movie will inspire and motivate people into living better lives.

*SPOILER ALERT! You might want to read below when you've watched the movie.*
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Director Josh Boone did a good job in capturing significant moments beautifully. I loved that it started and ended with Hazel Grace looking up the stars. 


The cinematography was amazing. 





There was never a dull moment that I had to look at my watch or think about anything else other than what I was watching. 


The set decor was super cool. With the swing set etc.


Shailene Woodley was pretty good. She was an amazing Hazel. Shai’s a huge part of the reason why tears were streaming down my face.

Ansel Elgort killed the role of Gus (no pun intended). He made every girl at the cinema swoon. He made us swoon by just smiling his Augustus smile. I wasn’t that fond of him when he was casted. I wasn’t over the top with feels but damn did he show me why he got casted as Gus. His stare down with Hazel was making me have feels all over. Also, the sense of humor he portrayed had me laughing together with all the viewers.

Nat Wolff caught my attention most of the time he was on screen. I wouldn’t say his acting skills were really great but I loved him as Isaac (I guess I have to thank the screen writers, Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, for his funny lines), especially when he was at Augustus’s basement and he was having an emotional breakdown while angrily saying “Always”. I couldn’t focus on what Hazel and Gus were talking about because I was busy laughing and watching him smash the trophies.



For those who watched the movie, welcome to the sweet torture of watching The Fault in Our Stars! And feel free to comment down below of what you think about the movie! What scene made you cry?

P.S. I’m pretty sure more than 50% of the people in the cinema with me were readers of TFIOS. And I was pronouncing Houten wrong. It is pronounced as How-t’n. Also, I didn’t see John Green’s cameo!






No comments :

Post a Comment