Book Review: Worth It by Linda Kage


Worth It by Linda Kage 
(Forbidden Men #6 (reads as a stand-alone)) 
Publication date: August 25th 2015
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance

I fell in love once.

It was amazing. She was amazing. Life was amazing.

I lived for each time I could see her, and nothing else mattered, not that our families were enemies, our time together was forbidden, or we had to meet in secret.

Our love could conquer all.

Until it didn’t.

So I was ripped away from the love of my life and shoved into hell, forced to continue without her.

It shattered me, broke the best parts of me, left me permanently damaged.
Or so I thought.

Years later, I swear history’s trying to repeat itself because she’s back in my life, and I’m just as drawn to her as I was before. But I’m older and wiser now, and I know she should stay away from a worthless piece of ex-con like me.

So, I will not let her in. I absolutely refuse to hurt her. I will keep her away.

Then again, sometimes risking your greatest fear to get to a smile makes everything worth it, and besides, I’m not sure I can resist her, anyway.

This is the story of how Felicity Bainbridge changed my life forever, starting one summer day long ago after I was forced to change a dirty diaper…

–Knox Parker


I was about to let this book pass by and move on to the next right until I read this very line.

"This is the story of how Felicity Bainbridge changed my life forever, starting one summer day long ago after I was forced to change a dirty diaper…"

That very line made me throw every bit of hesitance of reading this book. It really caught my attention and I decided to sign up and get an advance copy from Xpresso Book Tours. Boy, did I make the right decision. 

Told from different points in time and two points-of-view, Felicity and Knox's story begins to unfold. Their families are in a very Romeo-and-Juliet-esque feud only this time, Romeo comes carrying around a dirty diaper as a form of vengeance who begins to form a very unlikely friendship with the girl from the family he absolutely abhors. As they get to know each other better, they find good things in each other, helping their relationship develop from friends to something more. Until events took a dreadful wrong turn and now, years later, they find each other again, only both of them are different yet still quite them same Felicity and Knox they came to know and love. 

The way the book was written made it feel like a giant mystery beginning to unfold. It got me curious as to how Knox ended up in jail while Felicity lets go of her family and her dreams. In that sense, this type of narration also helped in paving the characters' identities. It showed how they were and the direct contrast on how they came to be. It gave readers the perfect opportunity to get to know them better, thus making this stand out from typical NA/Contemporary books.

The way the author narrates their story helped develop both characters, giving the readers the time to endear themselves not only to the two main characters but also to the other characters in the story. Each one of them has a story that I couldn't wait to read in books past and future books in the series.   

There is so much to like about this book. From the story, to its characters both the main and the supportive, Worth It is a book worth reading.




I grew up on a dairy farm in the Midwest as the youngest of eight children. Now I live in Kansas with my husband, daughter, and our nine cuckoo clocks. My life's been blessed with lots of people to learn from and love. Writing's always been a major part my world, and I'm so happy to finally share some of my stories with other romance lovers. 

No comments :

Post a Comment